get quote banner

Insurance Coverages

There are many types of policy coverages that you may choose from to insure your home. Be mindful of the various categories listed below that are included in standard coverage as well as optional coverages, namely earthquake coverage and individual riders such as jewelry. You will find brief explanations below, including but not limited to Dwelling, Separate Structures, Personal Property, Loss of Use, Personal Liability, Medical Payments to Others, and Earthquake/Optional Coverages:

Included Coverages

A Dwelling

Covers the home you live in and other attached or built-in structures such as a garage, porch, or deck

B Separate Structures

Covers other separate structures such as a stand-alone garage and/or shed.
-Minimum coverage is 10% of Dwelling coverage.

C Personal Property

Protects personal belongings/property owned or used by insured while on the residence premises if the home suffers a covered loss.
-Minimum coverage is 50% of dwelling coverage with certain items having individual or group limitations. Can add additional coverage riders for art, jewelry, etc.

D Loss of Use

Pays for additional costs you incur for reasonable housing and living expenses if a covered event makes your house temporarily uninhabitable while it’s being repaired or rebuilt.

E Personal Liability

Provides coverage if claim or lawsuit is made for accidental bodily injury and property damage sustained by others for which you or your family members are legally responsible. Optional increase to limits available.

F Medical Payments to Others

Pays towards the necessary medical expenses of people other than you and your household members who have been injured on your property, regardless of whether you are legally responsible for the injury. Option to increase limit may be available.

G Insured damages

Something that belongs to another person. Ex. Your son/daughter hits a ball that breaks a window of a neighbor’s house or you spill something, such as wine, on new carpeting at a friend’s house and you have to pay for cleaning it.

H Earthquake Coverage (Optional)

Limited and comprehensive coverage for damages sustained by an earthquake is offered, depending on the insurer and plan. Please contact us for more information.

Other Optional Coverage

  • Enhanced Coverage: Increase limits for additional living expenses, collapse, emergency removal, fire department surcharge, antenna/satellite dish, and more
  • Builder’s Risk: An endorsement protecting home between the time of loan closing and occupancy
  • Identity Theft: Professional assistance and up to $15,000 in expense reimbursement (depending on insurer)
  • Endorsements/Riders: Policy additions to widen coverage, namely to cover specific items. Often, antiques, jewelry, and art are covered under an individual rider because their value exceeds the limits under personal property coverage.